Auditions for Reading Operatic Society’s production of The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas will be held on Sunday 12 October, 1.30pm at our usual rehearsal venue.
Audition specifics are noted further down this page. We’re looking forward to getting a great cast together so if you wish to audition please post your details here on this page. Once received we’ll arrange to get audition material out to you directly.
The show levy will be £70 and non members will be charged a £5 audition fee.
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas will take place at The Kenton Theatre, Henley-on-Thames over the week of 19-25 April 2015.
Rehearsals will be held at St Peter’s Church Hall, Earley, Reading – Mondays and Thursdays at 7:45pm, plus some Sundays as called.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Vocal Audition Pieces
Miss Mona Strangely – low alto
3. A Lil’ ole Bitty – start to bar 52
18. No Lies (with Jewel) – bars 68 to 96
Bandleader / Narrator – tenor/high baritone or mezzo
1. 20 Fans – start to bar 25
Sheriff Ed Earl Dodd – baritone
19. Good Old Girl – start to bar 63
Melvyn P Thorpe – baritone
8. Texas Has A Whorehouse – bars 21 to 97
Jewel – mezzo
9. 24 Hours of Lovin’ – start to bar 51
18. No Lies (with Mona) – bars 68 to 96
Doatsey Mae – alto
12. Doatsey Mae – start to bar 24
The Governor – tenor/high baritone
16. The Sidestep – start to bar 89
Named Whores Linda Lou, Ruby Rae, Beatrice, Eloise, Durla, Dawn, Taddy Jo, Ginger and Angel
4. Rules – bars 134 to end (taking Mona’s line in harmony sections)
Audition in groups of three
2. 20 Fans reprise – start to bar 20 (lower notes where it splits)
Audition in groups of 6
Miss Mona (female) and Angel (female) start page 19 “So how much experience…” – Mona
Finish page 20 “I told you everything” – Angel
Miss Mona (female) and Sheriff (male) start page 41 “Goddammit Mona” – Sheriff
Finish page 43 “Well hell yes” – Sheriff
Senator Wingwoah (male) and Aggie (male) start page 56 “Boys I want to tell you” – Senator
(one actor playing all Aggies for audition) Finish page 57 “Yeehaw” – Aggie
Bandleader (male) start page 11 “It was the nicest…” (possibly plus audition song as well)
Finish page 13 “Treat her customers real nice”
Melvin P Thorpe (male) start page 33 “Thank you Texas…”
Finish page 34 “Isn’t this the age of tellin it like it is?”
Angel (female) start page 37 whole speech
Finish page 37
Miss Mona (female) start page 73 “He had his moments”
Finish page 74 “And the worst fucking eggs benedict”
- Anyone going for any older male part can read Sheriff and Mona or Senator and Aggies scenes
- Anyone going for old female parts can read Mona and Sheriff or Mona and Angel
- Angone going for younger female part can read Mona and Angel scene
- Anyone going for younger male part can read Senator and Aggies scene –all Aggie lines